Make helpfiles reveal race stat maxes

Forum for proposal and discussion of ideas for Dead of Night.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Yojimbo

Make helpfiles reveal race stat maxes

Post by Yojimbo » Sun May 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Because honestly, why not?

spoonfoy

Re: Make helpfiles reveal race stat maxes

Post by spoonfoy » Mon May 22, 2017 5:30 am

100% support.
i would even support a straight up list of classes that races excel at, and ones they suck at.

i.e. (and these are estimated numbers since i wont know them exactly)

Your query found the topic 'HALFORCS' which gives the following help entry.
"HALF-ORCS"
Type: RACIAL INFORMATION
Syntax: race half-orc

This stocky, powerful race is a crossbreed of the orcish and human
races. They are exceptionally brutal, violent, sneaky creatures and
thus make excellent assassins. They are stronger and healthier than
most races, but their reliance on physical prowess has rendered them
less intellectual. They retain many of the innate hunting abilities of
their orcish ancestors and thus have the ability to see others at night.
Few races trust halforcs, viewing them as brutish and crude. They are
exceptionally powerful warriors and have a strong faith in their pagan
gods, a faith which often disrupts the focus that a paladin requires.
They fear the psionic realm and view the arcane as the tool of the weak,
tree-hugging, dirt-munching faeries that they so often squash.

Max Attributes: Str 25 Dex 22 Int 19 Wis 19 Con 25 Luck 22
Excels With: Warrior, Blackguard
Struggles With: Psionist, Paladin, Druid, Mage

*Note* Race selection may only be performed at creation.

i feel like max stats should be newbie friendly general knowledge anyway, and the class listings are just less cryptic versions of the "flavor text" that most "help race" files already have.

also, i volunteer to write these files myself, and submit them to you, if an IMM would supply me with the correct information to edit/type in. i have no problem doin' the legwork on this one, Coach.

fanrax

Post by fanrax » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:00 pm

I would agree on the Class lists for it. But, that is already in the help file. As far as Max Stats. We had to learn them. it's not like it's hard to figure it out.
Advisor Fanrax Marx
Vampiric Psionic BattleMage
Archon of Magi, Seeker Division
Follower of Strife
Biter of Tiny Borkn

spoonfoy

Post by spoonfoy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:21 am

theres no downside to being transparent with max stats, especially for newbies.

i couldnt tell you the max wisdom on like, 6 of the races, an' ive been playin' for almost 20 years.

its also the difference of knowing the merits of a human ranger vs an elf ranger, a dwarf warrior vs a horc warrior, etc.

fanrax

Post by fanrax » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:59 pm

All the information that is needed to know, is already in the help files. Should you simply read and comprehend. I don't see the problem with it as is, personally.
Advisor Fanrax Marx
Follower of Strife
Biter of Tiny Borkn

Famine

Post by Famine » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:39 pm

I think one problem is for someone like me, who is not as experienced as Spoon, could spend a lot of time on something that is not right and thus my fun in playing the game is severely hindered because I'm not able to perform the way I expected based on vague help files. I would likely quit the moment I find out.

Name of the game is to have fun. Not punish due to bad luck in making the wrong choice. That's just me though. I think transparency is good. But, I understand that's not ideally the name of this game. Hence why damage numbers, max stats, stats even on level 1 are not there. :geek:

fanrax

Post by fanrax » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:36 pm

This game has never been one of "silver platters" And sadly, that's the route most games [removed] is looking to follow.

If you want a high player count, and most of them little self entitled brats. Then, by all means, [removed] are well founded and desired. The thing I have always enjoyed of this game, are the challenges, how every class and race has a weakness and there is no such thing as "the perfect combo".

[removed snide comments -sadis]
Advisor Fanrax Marx
Follower of Strife
Biter of Tiny Borkn

Famine

Post by Famine » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:03 pm

fanrax wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:36 pm
This game has never been one of "silver platters" And sadly, that's the route most games, [removed] is looking to follow.

If you want a high player count, and most of them little self entitled brats. Then, by all means, [removed] are well founded and desired. The thing I have always enjoyed of this game, are the challenges, how every class and race has a weakness and there is no such thing as "the perfect combo".
Not sure I would agree with that nor your view on [removed] intention of supporting the suggestion.

I don't think anyone is trying to make the game one of those so-called "silver platters". I think they see something that can be better and they make a suggestion to make it better. That doesn't necessarily mean you attribute all those suggestions to wanting to have things on a silver platter.

Regardless, if you think the suggestion would lead to more and sticky players, you should maybe consider that as a good sign the suggestion is worth doing. I mean, I don't know if you got the memo lately, but MUD's are dying. This is really not the game nor the genre of gaming you can be a snob on with your direction. At some point, if you don't adapt to survive, your players will age out of the game and no new faces will come, which is what we have been seeing for years across all good MUD's. There won't be any challenge for you if no one is playing the game -- it will die.

That's just me though. I view a suggestion like this one as trying to help a player make a better decision that will ultimately lead to having fun. If you're not focused on having fun in the game then what's the point of making a game?

Hannarose

Post by Hannarose » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:09 pm

As someone who has never played a MUD until this one, and is still trying to figure it all out, I think that having the base stats in the helpfile would be awesome. It would have made a lot of my solo time playing simpler as I was going. Had I not had SpooN around to tell me what my max was on any stat, I would have spent far too much time trying to find gear to bump all the stats up to see how high they could go, and I'd have spent a lot less time playing. I'd have gotten discouraged a LOT sooner into playing, because I could only find SO much because being so tiny, SO much would kill me. So I couldn't just run out and find all my con gear myself; I'd have never known that 22 was my max, so I'd have been wandering around for ages.

I think it's not a bad idea, and it doesn't turn the MUD into a "silver platter." Turning it into a silver platter would be giving everyone a full detailed, room by room map with levels included; a complete list of gear, where to find it, what level it is, what mob it loads on, what it does, and how often it loads; and making rent free across all items. Giving max stats in the helpfile does not, by any means, make it a "silver platter."

sadis
Immortal

Post by sadis » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:19 am

Debate ideas good. Fire bad!

Don't get personal ya'll.