Stat determinism

Forum for proposal and discussion of ideas for Dead of Night.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Stat determinism, what do you think of this idea?

Strongly support
60%
Support
30%
Indifferent
10%
Oppose
No votes
Strongly Oppose
No votes

Total votes: 10

Famine

Re: Stat determinism

Post by Famine » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:31 am

Well, I played with the stats in Python some because I was bored and wondered how it would work. This is where I simulated how stat generation would happen with an algorithm if the staff here implemented it. Here is what it looks like on my PC.

Larger Picture - http://i.imgur.com/25TcnXU.png

I generated a base set of stats by simulating a 1d6 roll 5 times where the top 2 lowest scores were dropped. Then the remaining 3 rolls were totaled together to populate a single attribute. This was done for 5 example attributes till you had a base array of stats that simulated your character statistics that would get populated by a point distribution system (20 points in my example).

Every class has a primary and secondary stat assigned. Thief was Dex and Wis for example. Warrior was Str and Con. Then the algorithm basically iterated over each stat, giving +2 to primary and +1 to secondary until the MAX CAP was hit for the particular stat for the chosen race.

The issue with what I did was priority of stats. Which class is given the priority of stat first? Warrior or Thief? That can be set by the player. But then again, why not allow the player to set the priority of the stat versus just the class? That seemed like a better idea. Yet, so did just not iterating over the points and just letting the player add/remove the stats with 20 points themselves... I think when I was done playing with my script, I liked the point buy the best. It's basically doing what the algorithm will do, just in the hands of the player adding and removing stats based on a point buy system.

It's just a matter how you generate the base array that will be impactful. I think random rolling once, then having one or two times to reroll where the last reroll is dead final.

spoonfoy

Post by spoonfoy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:44 am

i was with ya Famine, until you said Random. =p

my personal hope is to get rid of all uses of "random" numbers. a static set of stats for all characters/races feels so much more balanced. and the X stats to allocate yourself makes it feel like YOUR character, as opposed to "oh, you play a human mage/paladin too? yeah, we have identical stats."

if one of those ma/pal's wants higher int, an' one wants higher luck, i feel like they should have access to a limited amount of customization to reflect that.

Famine

Post by Famine » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Makes no difference to me if you want equality. Thought the base random array seemed more real. The thing is that you will likely see near identical stats for all same race/class combos minus the times of someone wanting to choose something else for some other game mechanic and or ignorance because they didn't know better. If you go that route, might as well make it all manual point buy that will likely be focused on trying to max out your primary/secondary stats first and then rest into a third and fourth depending on class selections.

spoonfoy

Post by spoonfoy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:34 am

i think we'd see more differentiation than youre expecting. im willing to bet most people would favor str/con on a lot of characters. i personally would favor dex/luck, regardless of character build. plus, stats themselves are getting a slight overall, so stats that are "desired" now, may take a backseat to things like wisdom in the future, depending on how you wanna play.

plus, other than vamp ma/war/psi, there arent a whole lot of "cookie cutter" characters. its a pretty varied character base with races and class combos.

plus youd have to consider gearing options. i would build my character around my endgame gear set (like, did i want a torn loincloth for the extra HND, or a mithril girth for the +2 str? if im going with girth, i can lower my str by a little to compensate for that eq. this is just one example between 2 pieces of eq out of 22 gear slots). other people may build for an easier early game, some people may build even or average.

between different gear choices, an' how you play your character, i dont think thered be a prevailing "best" build for any given race/class combo.

Famine

Post by Famine » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:47 am

Well, you're talking about both short term and long term decisions here. Your attribution on character creation will be long term unless someone gives you the option to reattribute your stats after character creation. What gear you wear to compensate will be short term as the gear and the reason you wear said gear could likely change and thus allow you to change gear. I think because of that, you may actually find similar point buys for similar class selections that are designed for the long term versus building a character for short term decisions like what gear you can compensate for. But that's just me. You know more than I would in that area as you are the veteran. As there is more veterans who know the end games here, likely be the same for them too. :)