Druid Spell: Earth Shield

Forum for proposal and discussion of ideas for Dead of Night.

Moderator: Public Moderators

spoonfoy

Druid Spell: Earth Shield

Post by spoonfoy » Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 pm

a castable shield that is defensive instead of offensive.

Earth Shield would absorb 70% of incoming damage before "breaking" after X amount of total damage absorbed.

so, a mob hits you for 100 damage. Earth Shield absorbs 70 of it, and 30 damage gets applied to you. after Earth Shield absorbs 500 damage in this way, it breaks and needs recasted.

it may only be applied to the druid, and total damage absorption rises with level. so, a lvl70 Earth Shield would take 5000 damage to break, or somesuch and so on.

i imagine it as basically just large chucks of dirt and rock slowly spinning around the druid, protecting him from all sides.

spoonfoy

Re: Druid Spell: Earth Shield

Post by spoonfoy » Thu May 18, 2017 4:42 pm

reasoning - this helps trees be viable at higher level. this effectively raises their total hp, without directly buffing their hp, so treefighting can be used past lvl40 when the steep hp drop off hits and the mob damage becomes capable of 2-3 shotting you. it also helps druids just be an effective support class if they are part warrior or thief or something.

perhaps Earth Shield could also be applied to other players, but at a reduced strength. say, it only absorbs half of the total damage, and only 35% of damage at a time.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun May 21, 2017 9:47 pm

I see your reasoning, but druids already have a shield that, in the right situation, is pretty damned good. I'd much rather they just allowed trees to be effective past level 40 or so. (Other then the odd multiclass where trees are still good for far longer then that. Looking at you, current paladin druid, heh.)

Tigra

Post by Tigra » Mon May 22, 2017 10:48 pm

I like this better than I like Thornshield. I'd totally ditch Thornshield for some damage absorption instead.

spoonfoy

Post by spoonfoy » Tue May 23, 2017 4:52 pm

agreed.

the downside of thornshield with the "cant attack, can only cast" is just too much imo. makes it basically useless, unless you are, for some reason, a pure druid.